Blog post #3



Title: Can We Really Measure Implicit Bias? Maybe Not.

Source: Tom Bartlett 

Date: January 05, 2017

Summary: The article tells us about a study from different researchers about the relationship between implicit bias and discriminatory behavior. They mainly focus on the Implicit Association Test (IAT), which was created to measure implicit bias by following how we answer questions together with the speed and the mistakes we make. A professor of psychology, Hart Blanton, declared that the IAT is not accurate enough to rely on. Therefore, for several years he has been arguing with the IAT founder. Each of them has come up with plenty of reasons to support their point of view and evidence against each other, yet, there is still no conclusion. However, at least everyone agrees that there was not enough evidence to state that people’s behavior can change depending on their unconscious bias and the link between these two is weak. The debate was just about how and the IAT. Furthermore, another researcher, Patrick Forscher, suggests getting over the argument of the IAT and paying more attention to the causes of discrimination and how to change that biased behavior.

Reaction: I have done three of the IATs. The result always reveals that I have no preference between people’s age, sexuality, and race. Even though it met my belief of what I thought I would be and was not out of my expectation. But I will not suggest that this IAT is 100% accurate because I slightly agree with Blanton for the part where he said the result could fluctuate depending on when we do the test. Another factor is I sometimes find myself being biased. For example, about ages, in some moods, I would prefer to be around or talk to young people rather than older people because my behavior or language could unconsciously be disrespectful toward elders. But, with people of the same age, I feel more comfortable. However, in some cases, some topics it is more interesting to discuss with older people who have more experience. For those reasons, I think implicit bias cannot be measured only by the IAT test.

Questions:     Beside IAT, is there any other thing to measure our implicit bias?

                      Will IAT be improve?

                      Even if we know about our implicit bias, Will we be able to control our behavior?

                      Should Blanton and IAT creators stop arguing like Forscher suggestion?

                       




Comments

  1. Wait what~ I also did the IAT test and I never imagined someone could get "no preference" for three times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree about the IAT test, It reveals about how implicit bias we are, but implicit bias cannot be measured by only the IAT test. It might be dependent on the situation that we have been through to make us feel like discrimination or prejudice in someway as you said that you prefer to talk to younger more than elders due to your behavior or language could make them that you are not showing respect. However, these day we don’t even know how we will be able to control our behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dida,
    Congratulations🥳 that you are not biased to the IAT. You are such a fast person who survived the test for real.
    I would like to answer your questions overall. I think we can not control our implicit bias because bias is intangible but on the other hand we know when we are biased to sth and we attempt to not perform when we notice the difference from the majority opinions, and we are a minority in that situation. Despite the fact, we will trust the source of what's related to our belief.
    Thank you for sharing your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the information I agree that IAT is not 100% accurate cuase Implicit Bias can not be measured by do only the IATS Test. However, I think when you feel comfortable to talk about people of the same ages or young people more than older people is not Bias but it about your feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog post #4

Blog post #2

Blog#5